Thursday, August 9, 2012

Laura Trott is a Double Olympic track cycling champion

British cyclist, Laura Trott has battled back from a collapsed lung at birth to win two gold medals at the London 2012 Games.
After being born prematurely, Laura’s lung collapsed and she was left fighting for her life. The lungs are one of the last organs babies develop and premature birth can increase the risk of respiratory problems.
After overcoming this, Laura developed asthma during childhood, which is also thought to be a consequence of premature birth. Her parents were advised that as an asthmatic, it would be even more important for Laura to engage in regular exercise, so she took up cycling to help manage her symptoms.
Now, 13 years later Laura has competed on the international stage, securing two gold medals for her country in track cycling.
Laura said: "It's hard to believe I've gone from fighting for my life to being a world champion and competing in the Games."
Nothing can prepare you for winning one Olympic gold medal, let alone two, as I found out on Tuesday night when I won the omnium at the velodrome. Suddenly you are on another planet as you get whisked from one media engagement to another. Not that I am complaining, I am well known for being able to talk the hind legs off a donkey, and I missed all the fun when we won the team pursuit on Saturday night, when I stayed in to prepare for the omnium.
It can take your breath away after you leave the podium. I did the TV and radio, and then the mixed zone, which was a real scrum and it was difficult to hear anything that was said. Then I went to the main press conference which was a bit different with the journalists applauding you, which was nice. Apparently it is a tradition for gold medal winners.

No comments:

Post a Comment